July 8, 2012

Dinner Rolls


In the olden days, when I still used to be a baker, we saved some dough from our baguette batches to turn it into dinner rolls. The results were always amazing. So much so, that my dinner rolls made it onto the 2011 Vancouver Magazine's "101 Things to Eat in Vancouver". Why the rolls, and not the baguettes themselves? It's still a mystery to me; but I'm not going to turn down some well-deserved praise no matter what shape or form it comes in. :)

You can try these rolls using the formula I gave in an earlier post about baguettes, or you can turn this into a strictly white flour affair, just like I did. I don't get to play with strictly white flour too often, so once in a while it can be quite fun. You will be surprised at how much flavour is "trapped" in good, old white flour.

Dinner rolls (for 10-12 rolls):

Levain
(prepared 12 hours in advance and left at room temperature)

80 gr water
80 gr all-purpose flour
1 tsp sourdough culture

Poolish
(prepared 12 hours in advance and left at room temperature)

80 gr water
80 gr all-purpose flour
1 gr yeast

Final Dough

250 gr water
450 gr all-purpose flour
12 gr salt
2 gr yeast
2 gr malt (optional)
Levain
Poolish

Follow the instructions for making baguettes. Bake on a tray at 450 F for about 20 minutes. Enjoy.

Submitted to YeastSpotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment